Oct 15, 2020
(Image - Brookfield Registrars, chistinascucina.com)
With elections leaving so many people with a bitter taste in their mouths, we're celebrating one of Connecticut's oldest – and for centuries best known – traditions; the Connecticut Election cake. In this conversation with Allie Kyff of the Connecticut Democracy Center at Connecticut's Old State House,state Historian Walt Woodward discusses the fascinating history of this delicious tradition.
BAKE YOUR WAY TO GLORY! Join in a statewide election cake decorating contest held by Connecticut's Old State House.
Celebrate a 200-year old Connecticut Election Day tradition by entering our Election Day Cake Virtual Contest. Inspire everyone to vote by baking a cake, decorating it, and entering to win!
Bake your cake using the original Election Day Cake recipe or follow a recipe of your own choosing! Since our judges won't be able to taste your delicious creations, we are going to judge on decoration alone. Make a cake that you would love to eat on election day-- one that looks as good as it tastes, celebrates elections, and inspires voting!
Watch our Facebook Live interview with State Historian Dr. Walt Woodward from September 23rd, Hartford's Election Day Cake: A Yummy Civic Tradition, to learn more about this great tradition.
Make sure that your are following Connecticut's Old State House on Facebook, Instagram (@CTOldStateHouse) and Twitter (@CTOldStateHouse) or opt into our email list for October updates and the winning announcement on Monday, November 2, 20202!
1. Bake a cake and decorate it in a way that celebrates voting and inspires people to vote on November 3rd.
2. The cake MUST be non-partisan.
3. Cakes that promote an issue, party, or person will be disqualified.
4. Submit no more than three pictures of your cake. One photo must be of the entire cake either from above or at an angle.
5. Send your submission to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday, October 26, 2020.
6. Only one submission per person is permitted.
7. This contest is open to all ages.
Winners and prizes will be announced on Monday, November 2,
Please note that this is a virtual event. There is no in-person component.